Thursday, September 22, 2016

Story: The Reconciliation.



(A temple in the town of Hastinapur. Image source: Wikipedia.)


There once lived a king who ruled over the land of Hastinapur. His name was Pandu. He grew up in an environment that taught him that it was okay to harm people in order to get what you wanted. He grew up to be a king that many people hated but more people feared.

King Pandu loved to hunt. He felt a sense of satisfaction when the arrow would hit the animal. One day, he decided to take a break from his duties and go hunting. The forest was dim due to the many trees that provided shade to the ground. As King Pandu ventured deeper, he encountered two deer. Excited at his discovery, he drew his bow and aimed. They dropped to the ground. Pandu ran over to his catch excitedly only to find that the two deer had now taken the form of humans. It turned out that King Pandu had accidentally shot a Brahmin couple. The two were taking their last few breaths when the Brahmin whispered a curse.

“For this wretched deed you have done, I curse you to forever die in the arms of your wife.”

Pandu quickly ran out of the forest and tried to forget the events that had happened that day.

Pandu felt anxious over what had happened so he tried to sleep it off. That night, he dreamed. He dreamed of the time when he was pure, of the time when he had not been exposed to the evil of society. He suddenly awoke by the sound of a rooster.

“Well, that was an odd dream.”

King Pandu then went about his day. He got dressed and took a stroll around town. While walking through the marketplace, a kid bumped into him. He was taken aback at first but then moved on. When he came back to the palace, he was greeted by his favorite wife, Madri.

“How are you today, my sire? Isn’t it nice to finally see the sun after the rainy season?”

“Yes, it is, my dear.”

They proceeded to take a romantic stroll through the palace. The smell of fresh flowers filled the air. The couple walked along a long path that led to a field of flowers. Suddenly someone stepped in the middle of their path.

“Who are you?”

Out of nowhere, the strange man drew his bow and shot Pandu right in the chest. The king fell into the lap of his wife and died. Suddenly, Pandu woke up again in his bed.

“What just happened? Was it really just a dream?”

Confused, Pandu once again started to get ready for the day. He started with his usual stroll through town. Then, a little kid bumped into him. Wasn’t that the same kid from my dream, he wondered to himself. He continued on his stroll and then headed home. He was greeted once again by his wife.

“How are you today? Isn’t it nice to finally see the sun after the rainy season?”

“Why are you asking me the same thing again?”

“What are you talking about? This is the first time I have asked you this.”

Puzzled, King Pandu decided to brush it off. He and his wife began to take a stroll through the palace to try and take his mind off of the matter. Suddenly, as they were strolling along the path, a man appeared. He looked very similar to the man in Pandu’s dream. This time Pandu wanted to know who this mysterious man was. However, right as he was about to speak, the man drew his arrow and shot the king to his death. King Pandu once again awoke in his bed. This cycle occurred continuously. To King Pandu, months seemed to pass but to everyone else, it was just a new day.

Pandu started to think about what the Brahmin had said to him before he died. He wanted to seek answers but could not since the Brahmin was dead.

The next day, Pandu got ready as usual. He got dressed and proceeded to stroll in town. As he was walking, he saw the group of children running around. He braced for the impact of the child that was going to run into him but nothing happened. The child was nowhere to be seen. King Pandu then went to find the child because he thought that the child could be the solution to this miserable cycle. He began to search far and wide for the child. Then, he heard a loud screech.

Pandu decided to follow the sound. He followed it all the way to the forest. He couldn’t seem to pinpoint the source of it, so he decided to give up. As he turned back around, there stood the child.

“Who are you?”

“I am the lost soul of Brahmin. I have followed you around in order to make sure that the curse I placed on you carries through.”

“How could you make sure? You are only a child.”

“Think again, my confused one. I am not only the child that bumped into you every day, but I am also the man that killed you as well. I wanted you to pay tenfold for what you had done to me and my wife. I wanted you to suffer because I thought that it would bring me peace in the afterlife. However, I was wrong. I know now that in order to leave this world peacefully, I must make amends with you. So I stand here today to forgive you. I hope this not only helps you to realize the importance of a life, but also be a better person.”

With that, a bright light appeared and the Brahmin proceeded to walk into it. After that event, King Pandu began to change his ways. He became kinder to the people who worshipped him. He became more aware of how much life had to offer him. Last but not least, he became the person he once was. He became Pandu.

Author’s Note

For my story, I decided to once again keep many of the original components of the Mahabharata while still adding my own twist. In the original story, King Pandu accidentally kills the Brahmin and his wife in disguise while he was hunting. The Brahmin then places a curse saying that King Pandu would die in the arms of his wife. I decided to keep that part of the story. To make my story more interesting, I wanted to add an interesting twist. I decided to make it to where Pandu had to continuously relive his death. I forgot to add earlier that this idea was inspired by one of my favorite shows, Supernatural. In the show, one of the brothers has to continuously relive his older brother's death. This was the work of a trickster. In my version, I wanted these events to be the result of a curse. I did this to Pandu because I didn't want to actually kill him. I wanted him to not only survive, but to also learn that what he did was wrong and to pay for his sins. In the original book, the Brahmin and Pandu simply died without any continuation of their story. I wanted them to make amends with each other in order to create a happier ending which is why I brought the Brahmin back in the form of a lost soul. That way, he would be able to release the anger that he felt towards Pandu while also letting go of his past in order for him to successfully leave the world in peace.

Bibliography
Public Domain Mahabharata. Link to the reading online.


5 comments:

  1. Hi LInh! I had already made the blog groups for this week when you posted this story, but you can do the Declaration for Week 6 (next week), and that way you will get credit for your work and I will put this in a group next time. Plus, you will have one less thing to worry about for next week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this retelling. It kind of mixes the Mahabharata with a fable lesson built in. I like that you found a way to teach a lesson and still tell the story of Pandu. I also like that you made him relive his death over and over again. It reminds me of an episode of Supernatural. Or this new movie on Netflix I watched called ARQ, both of which have the main character(s) die repeatedly. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michaela! That is actually where I got the inspiration from! Supernatural is my all time favorite show so I was very excited that someone actually recognized it :). GO SUPERNATURAL FANDOM

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed the kind of retelling you've done here. You flip the material in a really interesting way that gives a new life to it. You've added in a lesson in a way really powerful way that still stays mostly true to the idea of the source material. I truly enjoyed the idea of the piece. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete